Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Fall Preparations

I stayed up late to finish some sewing and cleaning in anticipation of my quilting circle which is meeting here at my home Thursday. Yes, the fact that I am starting a couple days ahead of time should give you an indication of the condition of my home. Between helping my husband with some home improvement projects and projects of my own, housekeeping has really slid downhill.
My husband worked so hard on sanding the floor of our front porch I decided to make his favorite cookies, Molasses Crinkles.
Here is the recipe:
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup blackstrap molasses
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1teaspoon allspice
1 teaspoon ground ginger
2 cups unbleached white flour
1 to 2 tablespoons additional sugar for rolling

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a cookie sheet.
Melt butter over low heat. Transfer to a medium-sized mixing bowl.
Beat in molasses and 1 cup sugar. Beat the egg by itself in a small bowl first, then beat this into the molasses mixture.
Sift together the dry ingredients (except the additional sugar). Actually I never sift. Then add them to the wet mixture, stirring until well combined.
Use your hands to form 1 1/2 inch balls of dough. Place the additional 1 to 2 tablespoons sugar on a small plate, and roll each ball in the sugar before arranging on the cookie sheet. (This coating provides the crinkle factor).
Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until firm to the touch but still gives a little. Cool on a rack.


In the spirit of fall  I planted a fig tree, camillia bush and transplanted a wisteria. I have many plans for the fig when it starts to yield. If it only knew. I need to get my raised beds winterized but am really needing to gear up for lots and lots of cooking and baking. I get so excited this time of year. My big girl will visit from college. My younger daughter will have many of her friends over who have also been away at college. I always want to keep everyone here with lots of food. Especially the boys. As long as I have food they will come.
HAVE NOT I COMMANDED YOU? BE STRONG, VIGOROUS, AND VERY COURAGEOUS. BE NOT AFRAID, NEITHER BE DISMAYED, FOR THE LORD YOUR GOD IS WITH YOU WHEREVER YOU GO. JOSHUA 1:9 (AMPLIFIED)

1 comment:

  1. Lovely recipe! Thank you for sharing! I will be baking lots of goodies soon too! :) Great Scripture, it's one I have turned to many times. xx

    ReplyDelete