Sunday, November 27, 2011

Christmas Cake

I am gearing up for Christmas baking so my blogs will probably be a bit monotonous. We have my husband's office party to host, family visiting from out of state and as I mention in a previous post lots and lots of college kids on break. I am really praying in ernest for good sleep at night. I have been dealing with lack of sleep for several YEARS and am now taking magnesium to see if I can get some consistent shut-eye. Following cheeseslave's recent discussion on sleep issues and lack of magnesium has been very informative. I am looking toward natural alternatives since the traditional doctor's answer is sleeping pills.
The soaking of dried fruit in rum and port for the last two weeks is filling the kitchen with the aroma I associate with the kick-off of holiday baking. Every day I stir the big bowl of soaked fruit and fancy myself a character in a Dickens book. I know, we Americans over romanticize everything about Christmas. I will be putting the actual cake together next week in preparation for the holiday season. Who thought of lumping Thanksgiving so close to Christmas anyway? Somehow everything gets done but  I don't even want to think about the pounds I'll be gaining. I have made a deal with myself to be more diligent about taking our lazy beagle out for walks and me hitting the Nordic Track during this season. We shall see.
Here are the pumpkin and pecan pies I baked for Thanksgiving-speaking of loosing weight. I did make the pecan with less sugar and didn't use corn syrup. I used maple syrup instead.  It turned out really well. I plan on using this recipe again.

HAVE I NOT COMMANDED YOU? BE STRONG, VIGOROUS, AND VERY COURAGEOUS. BE NOT AFRAID, NEITHER BE DISMAYED, FOR THE LORD YOUR GOD IS WITH YOU WHEREVER YOU GO. JOSHUA 1:9 (AMPLIFIED)

1 comment:

  1. Your blog posts are always good, never monotonous! Yummy, I can almost smell your kitchen! :) I think weight gain is inevitable at this time of year, at least that's what I'm telling myself! xx

    ReplyDelete