Thursday, October 20, 2011

A Bit of Sewing and Tea

I've been working on some pillowcases for charity. You can read about it here.
http://www.allpeoplequilt.com
The local quilt shop I frequent is involved in this charity as well. The pillowcases are simple to make and add bright color to the recipients room. It is also a great way to dig in my stash and use up fabric that is taking up space.
I made mine with children in mind. A bit garish but fun.

 I have been dreaming about another one of my personal rituals- the making of and slow sipping of chai. I am like a chemist in his lab when it comes to brewing this spicy Indian concoction. I love playing with the wonderfully aromatic spices and the fresh slivers of ginger. For now this is the recipe I have settled on. I am sure it will receive many tweeks over the cool months ahead.
2 cups milk
1 cup water
1 1/2 Tablespoons loose Darjeeling
A 2 inch piece cinnamon stick, or there about, broken in half
9 green cardamon pods, slightly crushed in a mortar and pestle to open
7 whole cloves
A 1 1/2 inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and cut into chunks
6 black peppercorns
1 Tablespoon organic sucanat or honey
Combine the ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Remove from heat, cover and let steep 15 minutes. Then return to a boil, strain, and serve hot.
Makes 2 good servings
Blessings

1 comment:

  1. hi there,thankyou for popping over at mine and for your lovely comment. I love the pillowcases youve made,I love Halloween too.
    have a great day,julie.x

    ReplyDelete